Museo LoPiù

Museo LoPiù
(Logo designed by Juan Carlos Cuba)

Translate

domingo, 15 de octubre de 2017

Ethel Merman - You're the top

AT LEAST IT'LL TELL YOU HOW GREAT YOU ARE

Tal día como hoy, hace cincuenta y tres años falleció el extraordinario compositor e inteligentísimo letrista Cole Porter, una de las mayores glorias del teatro musical estadounidense. Para recordar la efeméride elegimos su popular canción You're the top, perteneciente a Anything goes (1934), el primero de los cinco musicales de Porter que la impar Ethel Merman estrenó en Broadway.

You're the top  (lyrics)

At words poetic, I'm so pathetic
That I always have found it best,
Instead of getting 'em off my chest,
To let 'em rest unexpressed.
I hate parading my serenading
For I'll probably miss a bar,
But if this ditty is not so pretty,
At least it'll tell you how great you are
You're the top! You're Mahatma Ghandi.
You're the top! You're Napolean brandy.
You're the purple light of a summer night in Spain,
You're the National Gall'ry, you're Garbo's sal'ry,
You're cellophane.
You're sublime, you're a turkey dinner.
You're the time of the Derby winner.
I'm a toy balloon that is fated soon to pop.
But if, baby, I'm the bottom,
You're the top! 
You're the top! You're a Waldorf salad.
You're the top! You're a Berlin ballad.
You're a baby grand of a lady and a gent.
You're an old dutch master, you're Mrs. Aster,
You're Pepsodent.
You're romance, you're the steppes of Russia,
You're the pants on a Roxy usher.
I'm a lazy lout that's just about to stop,
But if, baby, I'm the bottom,
You're the top!

 

1 comentario:

  1. Javi ha sabido trasmitir con sus publicaciones sobre Cole Porter la deliciosa variedad y riqueza de sus composiciones!

    ResponderEliminar